Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Monday, October 15, 2012

Deciphering my new Spanish documents

Between www.freetranslation.com and the nuggets of the Spanish language I know, I was sure I would be able to translate the documents I received from the Juzgado Municipal of Toro in Spain.  Not so much...  First, there is the birth certificate for JACINTA MODESTA TRASCASAS MARZO.  She was born February 25, 1884 in Toro; she was the sister to Eustoquia Rita Trascasas Marzo, my abuelita's maternal grandmother.  No records were found for grandma Rita, but this birth certificate for her sister was like gold.  The certificate confirms her parents were Manuel Trascasas Alonso and Manuela Marzo Garcia.  However, the cursive script is most difficult to read.  However, the great news (how much better could it get...really?) happened this morning when I used my magnifying glass to decipher the names throughout the document:  I learned that Manuel Trascasas Alonso's mother's name was Maria Alonso Vega.  Vega is a new name!  I will need help translating this for sure ~

The second document is the marriage certificate between MANUEL TRASCASAS ALONSO with MANUELA MARZO GARCIA.  They were married December 27, 1879 when Manuela Marzo was 21 years old.  They were both from Toro, so the long list of ancestors to my grandmother Rita Trascasas Marzo are all from Toro.  The cursive script is even worse on this document but I will study it in depth...

While in the cemetery at Toro, I photographed several gravestones with the name, Alonso.  Now, I will go back to study the photos to see if one of them or more --- was related to our family.  More studying and I'm off for the day.  Stay tuned!

No comments: