Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Sunday, October 30, 2011

FOUR more grandparents ~

Ah, the wonder of discovery. While reading through the newest document I ordered from Spain, I was delighted to read between the Spanish lines and translated words that hit my brain like a ton of bricks, I sat back in my chair and felt my heart thumping as I stared at the words. My brain was moving in slow motion and my eyes blurred. Pay dirt!

Not only did I read that my great great grandfather's birth year was 1875 instead of 1869, I also saw confirmation of the marriage to my great great grandmother --- Her full name and date of their marriage of April 23, 1900. This information I knew, as well as the Iglesia de Santa Maria / Santa Maria Church in Fuentesauco but seeing it in Spanish script made it so much more real.

As I bent over my desk and stared at each Spanish word with my large magnifying glass, the names jumped out at me to stun and awe. This is what I learned:

(1) My great, great, great grandfather (Celestino Silvan) now had a second surname: DOSALES
(2) My great, great, great grandmother (Agustina Hernandez) had a second surname: MARTIN
(3) NEW! Paternal Grandparents names: ANGEL SILVAN and MARIA DOSALES
(4) NEW! Maternal Grandparentsnames: MIGUEL HERNANDEZ and MARGCERILA MARTIN

Just reading the names make me smile. Over the past two years (and more) I knew I had to find their second surnames to find their birth, death and/or marriage documents. Now I can take that step into the next generation... all due to finding a link on the internet from a Spanish woman offering to find documents for a charge of 20 euros + 6 euros to mail it to me. I feel like a hit gold....

My next best good news is I found a priest at the Diocese in the Province of Zamora who has agreed to research and copy documents for me ... I requested 8 documents and hope he finds them. i await his findings with bated breath.

No comments: