Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Documents from Spain!

Even though I am planning a trip to Spain in June of 2012, my lack of proven historical documents plague me. Seeing various family members and accumulating copies of their parental documents made me take just a few steps farther, farther and farther still.

On a lark, I sent an email to the Diocese of Zamora the same day I contacted a Spanish genealogist I found on the internet. They both responded! First, I decided to just put my toe in the water to feel the temperature.... (smiling here) and asked the genealogist to research the birth document for my great grandfather, Juan Francisco Silvan Hernandez. And she did it within four days time~ She told me he was born June 16, 1875 and is mailing me the document for the cost of 26 euros ($32). My records had his birth year anywhere from 1869 to 1873. Now, proven documentation is on its way!

The Diocese of Zamora is a bit different. Since I used a Spanish template to request information for the other family members, he answered me in Spanish (imagine that) and I could not decipher his note. After careful study and two people helping me with the translation, I was still not sure of his meaning. I wrote him an email, "Hable usted Ingles?" (Do you speak English?) He responded with, Comprendo el inglés escrito pero no lo hablo. (I can understand English written but I can't speak it)
Saludos
José Carlos de Lera

Big sigh. I wrote to him in extremely basic English asking him to clarify his email. It seems he will charge 15 euros (about $25) to research EACH document. I am unsure if that means he will send me copies or just tell me if he found them... I MUST study that Rosetta Stone Spanish Language course more diligently!

For now, I have a birth document flying on its way. If I decide to take him up on his offer (once I figure out what it is exactly) I should go buy a lottery ticket to pay for it. It's up to $148 million...

No comments: