Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Philosophizing our Spanish roots

I am currently reading a book by Deborah Harkness and something she wrote seemed to fit our quest to a "T":
With enough concentration one could focus on a single thread and follow it to its source.  I know that apparent simplicity masks the knots of possibility that ties an unimaginable number of pasts to a million presents and untold potential futures.

This bit of significant wisdom assures me we are on the right road and reminds me again why I started this quest to help me and others in my family tree ---- near and far ---- to find our common link and find the answer to our questions.

Who were they?  What were they like?  What were their lives like?  How many of our generation mimic the genes, personalities, character and talents of the ones from long ago?  What were their talents and how many of us received those specific genes?

Recently, Bobbie F., a Silvan/Gonzales descendent told me she loves to sing.... and sang a solo in church a couple Sundays ago in honor of her mother's (Hazel Robinson Gonzales) birthday.  Bobbie started playing violin late in life.  It is never too late!!  She asked how many others in my family had musical talent? Her question hit a high note (pun intended :)) 

I responded that I played with piano lessons but the talent really wasn't there.  My brother (Richard) writes music, sings and plays the guitar and the piano.  My brother (Steven) plays a mean harmonica and drums....and plays Spanish CDs to his heart's delight.  I, on the other hand, trying to set up a musical trio one Christmas years ago --- decided I'd practice on "Bo Jangles" so Richard could play the guitar and Steven could play the harmonica or drums beside me....  At the end of 10 months' practice, my "Bo Jangles" almost sounded like the tune, but never measured up... so truthfully my love of music is listening and I do that with my heart and soul as often as possible.  It was our great grandfather (Juan Francisco Silvan Hernandez) who played the drum, el bombo, and brought it from Spain across the ocean to entertain, entertain, entertain.  Then there was his daughter (my abuelita) who played music with spoons, castenets (see photo) and danced la jota.  And then there was her son (my natural father) who taught himself to play the accordian and guitar.  Yes, music is definitely in our veins.  Thank you, Bobbie, for tweaking my thoughts on genes, music and family through that simple question.

No comments: