Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Manuela's Footsteps vs. Manuela's Petals

My bags are half-packed with my passport, iPad, notes and pedigree charts.  My airplane ticket is finally clarified (Delta and Air France BOTH had me on a plane leaving Spain at the same time....).  My mind is awhirl (as usual when it's regarding genealogy and all the contacts I've found) and it occured to me that the title I have been using in my drafting-mind is not going to fit the story that I am preparing about my abuelita's story.

It is truly about her and her family and their hard times, family-oriented travel and their trek from Spain.  The new title, MANUELA'S FOOTSTEPS is far more appropriate since the story I am telling is technically just that --- following her footsteps along with her brothers, aunt, uncles, parents and many cousins as she left behind the world she knew, her uncles, more cousins and beloved grandmother, Agustina Hernandez.

Once I began research for my book, I became enthralled with the Spanish part of my lineage and proposed to write a second book outlining the SILVAN family and later...one about the RUIZ family.  In the course of my research, I have met so many 'cousins' who have shown an extraordinary willingness to share the history of their ancestors with me and in so doing, the books will be bulging with documents, stories and photographs for the biographies of the Silvans who came after Manuela's Footsteps ~

NOTE: Thanks to Bobbie F., I found that her father, Juan Hernandez Gonzales, had a saint's name of ZENON and it was pronounced "thay-known".  Many Spanish children were named after saints, especially if they were born on a particular saint's day. I found that very interesting and this is the type of information that will help me create a full-bodied book about our family.  So, SILVAN LEAVES will be the biographies of the Spanish-born and later the Hawaiian-born and American-born descendants.

As I add notes and jot down more questions to my pack, I am happy to add that I have an appointment with a genealogist in Seville, Spain the second week of September.  There, Fernando Hidalgo Lerdo de Tejada, has agreed to help me and my brother (Steven) find more pieces to the puzzle.  Our family left clues everywhere and when I pay attention, I can piece it together.  I want the knotted threads of their secrets to loosen, as I read recently.... and it made perfect sense to the road we have followed so far...

No comments: