Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Abuelita, the fan and family

My grandmother, Manuela Silvan Trascasas (Ruiz) aka abuelita, forever loved all the little children.  Proof in this photo has always touched me gently; in 1977, we visited my abuelita in Vacaville, California.   Abuelita held the little ones on her ample lap and pulled Chrissy into the mix enough to make me fill up with love for all of them.  How often does one find a photo with a grandmother and three children where all the children are looking good and not one looking off into hinterland?  On the far right is my daughter, Christina, who died in 1978 just one year later. The photo has always held a special spot for me; my son will soon be 38 and my baby daughter is 36.  Christina would have turned 43 this year.  And my camera saw abuelita with her arms around all of them....

The beautiful fan was a gift from my good friend, Elsie, who brought it back from Spain just for me --- she knew how important Spain was in my life and I loved it!  The lace on the tips of the fan are frilled, light and well..... lacy.  The fan body looks like it is hand painted with plastic staves.  This fan has decorated my wall as an ornament and well also used as..... a fan.  

Between the loving friends who think of us when they are away from home and the importance of family in the Spanish culture especially, then ---- yes I am truly blessed.  Soon, I suspect I will see more fans, pottery and stonework enough to make an everlasting impression.  And I will meet a family filled with primos (cousins).  Camera battery is charged and so am I.

No comments: