Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Monday, January 9, 2012

The push to leave Cuba in 1930 & 1931 ~

A trip to the Swem Library at the College of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia rewarded me with four books filled with incredible information that go toward answering question #2 regarding my great, great uncles, Geronimo and Agustin Silvan.

1) WHAT WAS THE PULL FROM SPAIN TO CUBA, THE SUGAR FIELDS OR HIGH CONSTRUCTION?
2) WHAT WAS THE PUSH THAT MADE THEM LEAVE CUBA IN 1930 AND 1931 AND RETURN TO SPAIN?

Typically, historical text books put me to sleep. However, after seeing a documentary from 1930s in Cuba, I saw my great, great uncles in my mind's eye through the pages of the books spread across my desk. I learned about the Spanish-American War, why it took place, what life was like in Cuba before and after and how it affected Cubans and Spanish immigrants that came later.

As clashes increased between the Gerardo Machado government and political opponents, union organizers fought for the rights of the people. I can now see my Uncle Geronimo and his wife, Joaquina, getting very nervous. When, in May of 1930, the Union Nacionalista organized a political rally...and even before the speakers addressed the crowd of thousands, the army opened fire and dispersed the panic-stricken crowd by force. The attack resulted in 8 deaths and hundreds wounded. My uncle and aunt fled within days, sailing out of Santiago de Cuba for Zamora via New York.

Agustin chose to remain behind. However, after reading the history of the year between June of 1930 and the beginning of 1931, I can bet assuredly he wished he'd sailed away with them. Sugar production dropped 60%. The length of the zafra was reduced to a 62-day harvest --- only 2 months' work for tens of thousands of sugar workers. Salaries reduced, workers laid off, businesses and factories closed. Unemployment soared. In sugar zones, wages fell as low as 20 cents a day for a 12-hour work day. On one large estate, workers received 10 cents a day --- five in cash and five in credit at the company store. As wages fell, the value of the peso decreased. The peso was worth 28 centavos less in 1928 than it was in 1913. Revolution lay ahead and when the ship arrived in June, Agustin was on it --- headed for Zamora.

I have lost them (for now). But I feel filled up with Cuban history as I imagine their life there where the men wore white hats, light colored shirts and pants and fedoras. The women wore shorter dresses, white floppy hats and gloves. Rumba was the native dance and royal palm trees were called the feather dusters of the gods. Many streets were made of cobblestone and giant earthenware jars caught rain water. And Cubans were proud of their Bacardi Rum facility...and Cuban cigars. Oranges. Sugar. Coffee. And they wanted independence.

Now --- I'm off in search of these brothers AFTER they arrived back in Spain. Did they stay or move on again???

No comments: