Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

How many brick walls are there?

I have realized jumping over one brick wall is wonderful but admit I cannot rest on my laurels. I have passed through four monstrous hurdles since I began my quest to follow in my Spanish grandmother's footsteps from Spain and eventually to America as a young woman. Now, trying to piece together the life she left and the family who stayed behind has become a bit tedious as I sift through the internet sites, hoping for a light bulb to go off for me. The options are limitless but those big, fat bricks keep getting in the way.

It makes me want to get to Spain and go the the little village of Fuentesauco and open the closet door and start tossing out the history I do not need to corral the history that I do. She left uncles, aunts and cousins. She may have left an adopted sister? Why?? Did she stay in Spain because she did not want to leave her brother, Jeronimo? Who's child was she? Was her father the brother my great grandfather left behind? If so, why? Maybe my great grandfather couldn't afford to take her with them? Did his brother die and leave the children with my great grandfather? Or was she a relative at all? All I know is he adopted a daughter named Feliciada and she had a brother, Jeronimo. SIGH. I must study that Spanish language faster and faster so I can find my answers when I arrive in Spain this Fall.

The research is exciting but the hours involved are so numerous, I have lost count. Concentrating on Hawaii now. They arrived in 1911 on ship's passages paid for by the Hawaiian government in exchange for 5 year's comittment working in the sugar fields. I have found more information about that time in Hawaii and contacted the Hawaii Historical Society. I will perservere... Moving on toward fleshing out of those Spanish lives. YES I CAN....

No comments: