Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Back home from the Chesapeake Bay area

Snow is gently melting around us here in Charles City, but up north on the Chesapeake Bay it is a much slower change. What a lovely trip and getaway for us! The 'white' scenery on our route was farmland interspersed with small, quaint towns. West Point and Kilmarnock stood out for me as we passed Victorian houses in spring-like colors surrounded by a railing-edged deck and pinacled roofs stretching in various directions. Pine trees and so many Pyracanthas filled to bursting with bright red berries just waiting for birds to swoop down for lunch.

That reminds me of my own Pyracantha. When I read James Michener's "Chesapeake" when I first moved from Oregon to Virginia, it gave me the spirit and history of Virginia and his description encouraged me to buy the Pyracantha shrub. He made them come alive in bright orange fascination for the ships entering the harbor and seeing those bright berries beckoning. I decided to ESPALIER one on a fence behind our bird garden. That was 5 years ago. It is green, tall and nicely shaped with my clipping but NO BERRIES. Huh. Well, that's my thought for the day. More study needed. Those berries need to feed our birds and I want to SEE them. I need help obviously.

No comments: