Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

SS ORTERIC, the immigrant ship 1911



When I first began my Spanish family genealogical quest, I did not know where to begin; I floundered, feeling very alone and lost until I encountered a Genealogy Class in Williamsburg, Virginia --- From then on, I had my lights on ~

Some of my heaviest questions were how did they get to America?  Why did they leave?  Did they come alone or with other family members?  We were given lists of genealogy sites that were free, others we had to pay to join.  I was amazed at the amount of information just waiting to be plucked from the internet!  I learned about www.ancestry.com and maneuvered around the site until one day I was astounded to find immigration ship manifests.  After striking out several times, I typed in Trascasas instead of Silvan and my abuelita's name popped up.  From there, it is history (literally) as I followed the manifest to other families and then eventually found my Ruiz family on the SS HARPALION.

I did not want others to feelalone when they began their family quests, so I decided to begin transcribing the names and vital statistics from the SS ORTERIC onto a document that would allow other Orteric descendants to find their families.  It was a daunting task and my own research and writing got in the way off and on for months --- until a stranger, also an Orteric descendant wanted to try his hand at transcribing with me.  He has managed to add many, many names and now has the help of a genealogist who found me through my website.  With Steven A.'s hours of hard work and Cristobal N.'s invaluable help, we have managed to go page by page through the manifest and decided to share our findings on a public document.

I  cannot simplify the website to two words as this blogger site won't allow me to shorten for ease in access. Click on the link below to access the Google document.


PLEASE REMEMBER -- THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS...
IF YOU FIND ERRORS about your family, please send an email to request the changes to us at: orteric1911@gmail.com

Maybe one day the HARPALION and others may be transcribed... If they are now, I am unaware of it.  Another author has created a transcription for the HELIOPOLIS in google docs and it is very detailed.

This is an exciting project and there are hours and hours involved in its creation.  There never seems to be enough THANK YOUs but I keep trying to find them ~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so very much for this work. This is valuable for piecing together family history for my children.