Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Friday, November 9, 2012

Genealogy helpers along the way

For someone who loves words like I do, one would think I would never be at a loss for those words but...

During my genealogy journey, I have met several strangers, eager to help me and I want to express my deep appreciation for their diligence and say how happy I am that our paths have crossed.

Steven A. -- whose valued expertise in translating documents, rooting out clues I have missed and being my cohort in establishing a document that will eventually show the SS Orteric passengers who traveled with our families --- in an orderly and organized Google document for others to read.  He has spent hours helping me decipher those old Spanish documents and lucky for me, he enjoys it like I do ~

Fernando H. -- a genealogist we met with in Seville, who has guided me toward the research that will help with the historical facts in my book, Manuela's Footsteps.  He suggested I look at navigation historical books written by Nicolas Salas, a Spanish author, for in depth information about the waterways in 1911, the cost of tickets, where the boats sailed, the pier they boarded the ship on the Guadalquivir River and more.

Nicolas Salas --  With my inability to read Spanish without the help of a trusty translation program (that is often crazy), I knew I'd hit a brick wall.  However, my genealogical journey has often slammed me against brick walls so I did what I usually do:  I scaled the wall and found the author's web site, wrote to the man and he responded!  He has written me several times and sent me valuable information and photos of historical events to add to my cache of research.  The most recent email he sent to me was inviting me to Seville to enjoy the celebration of the city naming a street in Seville after him.  I wish!

Cristobal N. -- This man found me through my www.patriciabbsteele.com website, where he noticed I am working on the SS Orteric manifest that I mentioned above.  During our correspondence (thanks again to the translation program!) he offered to help me with genealogical questions for the Ruiz family because he specializes in genealogical detail in Andalucia.  He also gave me a little lesson on the "s" being pronounced as a "z" and shortened words (etc.) that I found while in Spain with my brother.   He hopes to find detailed information for our ancestors in Benagalbon and Alora.

Isabel C. -- A charming woman at the tourist office in Toro, Spain has responded to several of my email requests and today I received a detailed map of the town in color clearly showing our Silvan ancestor's churches and streets where they lived.  Santo Tomas and Santo San Sebastian churches are well marked and to think we could have walked along those cobblestone streets during our walkabouts but did not realize we were so close... but I'm delighted to have this much.  I will include the map in my book, Silvan Leaves.

And not to forget my cousins in Spain, whom I have met recently.  Angela R F hopes to help me find the house where Grandpa Bernardo Ruiz Romero was born (a photo?) and there was a puzzle piece she is helping me find:  Her great grandfather was Bernardo's brother!  What?  We have Juan, Miguel and Diego born in Spain.  Is this a new brother we haven't learned of?  Or....?  I am most anxious for the results of her findings.

There are so many who have helped so much.  This is another Thank You to add to my many before.  I can't say it enough and since I am obsessed with finding our family and noting it all down --- I will say it again.
Muchas gracias a ustedes.

No comments: