Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Geronimo Silvan was married after all!

As a comparatively new genealogist, I found the ship's manifest for the S.S. Manuel Calvo last April, 2010, excited to find one of the missing brothers, uncle to my grandmother Manuela listed: Geronimo Silvan. There are many columns to these ship's passenger lists; the first 'M or F' signifies male and the next column signifies M or S (married or single). I saw 'M' and stopped. So, he's male and single. I was so intent on finding Great Uncle Geronimo's name that it took new eyes (thank you, Vicki) to show me that the columns showed an M and another M = Male/Married. And his wife's name was listed below his --- all the while I thought he was returning from Cuba to Spain all alone at age 54. Lo and behold, Vicki nonchalantly mentioned his wife on an email I found from her this morning and I just went into overdrive.

We now have a Great Aunt whose name was Joaquina Bragado Vicente. On the ship, June 1931, she was 55 years old; they were both born in Zamora and returning to Zamora -- a pair of Spanish ancestors. One more tiny piece to our Silvan puzzle just fell into place.

I often find myself 'seeing' additional information after looking at a document 2,3,4,5 and sometimes 6 times. My daughter's 'eyes' found the name of the ship, ORTERIC, over a year ago. It was the ship my grandmother sailed on from Spain to Hawaii and I'd looked at the same document more times than I can count moaning over not know the name of their ship.....

Fresh eyes....and more help. I learned that Geronimo Silvan was 5' 9" and his wife, Joaquina was 5'4" tall. They were both born in Fuentesauco, Zamora, Spain. Neither could read or write. Now I am off to research these ancestors. Did they have a family? Are there any descendents still in Spain? Will I find them next summer when I walk through the streets of Fuentesauco and go in and out of the Ayunamiento, the cemetery, or the church? Another adventure begins.

1 comment:

Dr Purva Pius said...

My name is.Mrs.Anna Daniel. I live in Ukraine i am a happy woman today? i need to use this time to tell all people how i got my loan from this honest and God fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $84,000 please contact him. if you also need a loan without any problem he name is Dr Purva Pius email {urgentloan22@gmail.com} tell him that is Mrs.Anna Daniel that refer you to he contact Email {PurvaPius22@gmail.com}