Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Finding Victorino Silvan!

My genealogical quest became more lucrative this week! Snow fell all day yesterday to a build- up of nearly 9 inches and 17 degrees but I hardly noticed other than to watch the lovely, big flakes fall and to count the bright red cardinals at our bird feeders in the back bird garden.

I was entrenched in building the ongoing SILVAN family history and my grandmother's trek from Spain. Thrilled to find out she didn't come alone with just her mother, father and two brothers, she traveled with an Uncle Victorino, his wife and 4 children and her Aunt Cristencia, her husband and 2 children. I had already begun my story up to page 14. I will gladly revise it to include Aunt Cristencia and jog the story around. My plan is to write a real story based on documented facts, family stories and pictures. It will definitely be MANUELA'S PETALS.

I spoke with two of my uncles this week and neither knew who Uncle Victorino was! How could that be? I wondered. When my aunt did not know either, I started doubting myself. So, I found the 1911 ship's manifest once again and sure enough! Juan Silvan, Victorino Silvan and Cristencia Silvan Gonzalez all had the same mother and father. Today, I found out that Victorino, his wife and oldest child could read and write. None of the other family members, including my grandmother's parents could say the same. AND I 'found' Victorino in Hawaii on a 1920 census so he did not leave Hawaii to emigrate to America after working in Hawaii like my grandparents. That is another story but oh! The quest is fascinating.

Today, I invited many of my cousins to come along for the ride by reading my weekly blog and I so hope they do so. I want to share it all!
Smiles,
PS

3 comments:

Esteban said...

Very cool that I can share in your thoughts and excitement in your quest to decypher our Spanish history. I hope I will be able to be your guide and translator on your pilgrimage.

Esteban said...

Pat this very cool that I can read your blogs and hear your thoughts and excitement as you piece together our family hx. I truely hope I can be your guide and translator in Spain.

Steven

(Tu hermano menor)

Spanish Pearls said...

My BEST wish is to share this with my brother, Esteban, so he can be my guide, translator and brother in research! What fun lies ahead!!
PS