Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Find A Grave Memorials

I became a volunteer for the Find-A-Grave organization in 2008. One day while I was researching my ancestors, I came across this site and nearly fainted when I found the photo of a gravestone for my many-times great grandfather Chubb.  Since that time, I have created memorials for many ancestors and descendants for others to find and enjoy that feeling.  This is an example of a memorial and I will list the steps to find others.
Juan Francisco "John" Silvan Hernandez Memorial

First, go to Find A Grave  - At the HOME Page, you will see several options.  You can type in the last name, date of birth and death and if you have it, list the state, county and town where your ancestor or relative lived.  Sometimes, it will pop up (if a memorial is already in their database).

If you know the name of the cemetery, click on "Search for a Cemetery"  Once you type in the name of the cemetery, it will bring up a list of everyone interred there and you find the person, or people with the same surname that will lead you to who you are looking for.

If you still cannot find it, then the next best option is "Add burial records"  This is the place you can create a memorial, add photos, a biography and link to other memorials related to your family member.  More instructions soon.

No comments: