Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Friday, July 20, 2012

Are we asking questions of family?

Are we asking questions from living descendants who remember the past?  I didn't ask when I had the chance and I've spoken with so many others who didn't take advantage of their mothers, grandmothers, fathers, grandfathers, etc.  One of the sad regrets I have is I didn't write down the stories!  Abuelita and my father told me stories, facts, places and people and I was sure I'd remember but no!  If I/you don't write it down, we will forget or get mixed up! 

I am so looking forward to a report from the Gonzales cousins after next weekend as they have planned out their time with one of two remaining siblings from their father's generation and we are gathering our questions!  It reminded me of how lucky we are to have people who still remember even though they think they don't..... just get them talking about the past and their parents or older siblings and the stories spill out with wreckless abandon ----- to our advantage and then please!  WRITE IT DOWN.

One thing I do, is concentrate very hard trying to put myself back into my child-mind and body to remember places and people.  It often works.  Slowly but surely, think about your grandparents and the times and places you spent together and so many memories may flood back... and again, WRITE IT DOWN.

My son and daughter will one day feel so blessed to have our story for their children.  Now, they are excited just knowing the family tree is being populated with people, dates and stories.  Once I return from Spain, I hope to have so much more 'fleshed' in.  And for that, I am teaching them to ASK QUESTIONS and hopefully, our family history will continue to be handed down to the generations before us.  Let's span the decades and unite the generations as PBS is prone to state each day!!

Good luck!

No comments: