Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Ordering Documents from SPAIN ~

I have received several requests from other genealogists and family historians asking where and how I obtained birth and/or baptismal certificates for my Spanish ancestors. So, I am listing the best contact I have found so far.
http://www.certificados.pro/Certificates.html

In Spain, civil records exist from 1871 to the present. Before 1871 the records were only in church records. The job of searching for church records is very complex since baptisms were arranged by Parishes and Dioceses. For that reason, requesting documents before 1871 typically cost about $70 EACH and those after 1871 cost about $40 EACH.

The Diocese of Zamora helped me obtain baptismal documents for Victorino Luciano Silvan Hernandez and his brother, Geronimo Silvan Hernandez for a little less cost and also gave me the names of their four older siblings. Since the time I received the information, I requested documents for each of those siblings. Unfortunately, he has not responded to my several email requests.

Therefore, since I have previously employed researchers from Procuradora de los
Tribunales through the above website, I requested the documents for MATIAS, AGAPITA, FELIPE AND DOMINGO PEDRO SILVAN HERNANDEZ. Pepa said it will take about 4 weeks to get me the documents because she has to travel to the diocese and look through the baptismal books. Hope this helps others who are looking under all those unturned stones for ancestors....

AND I'M OFF FOR MORE RESEARCH ON OTHER FAMILY LINES! I am riding the Amtrak train to Washington, DC at last! The Library of Congress, National Archives, Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) and oh...we are sneaking in a jazz concert with Wynton Marsalis at the Kennedy Center. So, I won't be updating my blog again until next weekend. Stay tuned!

No comments: