Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Will I ever think in Spanish?

Spanish language and Spain have been dodging around in my head all my life but as my travel plans steadily mount toward actually standing on Spanish soil, I feel adrift because I have to catch up! My book shelves are heavy with Spanish-informational tomes listing places, history, people, traveling ideas and dictionaries. Pictures of my Spanish ancestors litter the tables and I remind myself I am only half Spanish, but feel the tug of those ancestor's homeland like a restrained puppy on a leash and I want to chase that squirrel!
This week, I took the bold step of buying a Spanish language program called the Rosetta Stone. It sounded impressive, rich and promising. With the program in my hands, I asked the salesman how long before I speak fluently? His lips twitched before he pinched them with his finger and thumb, trying not to laugh. Huh? No guarantee,? I asked. LOL -- Well, now the work begins. With my estimate, my trip has now been pushed out to the Spring of 2012. That should give me time to study, conjugate, memorize and eventually think in Spanish.
Of course, I have always been a dreamer. My glasses have always been rose colored. There are always adventures upon each horizon. And my dreamer-mentality has usually made my life what it is today. Sure, there are bumps on the horizons, some extremely big ones, but I just put those rosy glasses on again. I wonder if I can read the language program through the pink haze? Of course I can! Between Esteben, mi hermano (brother) and Ramona, mi primo carnal (first cousin) both speaking fluently, I plan to converse with them (when I'm ready....) Oooops, those glasses slipped... I plan to converse with them one day soon :)

No comments: