Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Genealogical "irons in the fire"

My new, white 4" x 6" cards are prepared, tabs list surnames and each card includes the name of a family member who is or has helped me along the journey prying loose ancestors, pictures, stories and documents. Ah. All organized (again) and it is with great excitement that I am able to add activity notes and as I see pictures attached to names, my heart soars. I also have a tab for HELPERS -- strangers willing to fuel my fire!
In the past two days, I have had several pieces of information flow through cyberspace and into my hands and I am most anxious for USPS packets to arrive as well. There are so many wonderful people (related or strangers) who have helped fill in the historical blanks and I continue to feel amazed at their generosity and heartfelt wish to share their 'loot' with me.
Today, I am holding my breath... Two grandsons are visiting a grandmother in California who has a box on a high shelf she cannot reach. We are waiting with bated breath to find out WHAT IS INSIDE!? Could it be marriage certificate copies? Pictures? Letters? Each cousin that is touched by our quest seems to jump into action, hoping to look through the historical lens of the camera we hold, ready to snap, snap and snap some more ---
As I updated our family tree on www.ancestry.com today, I jump-started myself again as I study census information listing family members, places they lived, neighbors nearby and follow with pictures for these shadowy people I am just meeting from the distant past.
Victoria Gonzales Webber is my father's first cousin. She is 93 years old and very sharp and delightful. She is just one of the members of that generation who is anxious for my quest to continue. She asked me if I knew when her grandmother, Agustina Hernandez, died? One of my priory questions to get answered when I walk the roads into Fuentesauco, Spain. One of the answers among many I hope to jot into my genealogy archive notebook. What fun to share my findings with so many when I return. My focus is on the SPRING of 2012 and Spain here I come!

No comments: