Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Friday, April 1, 2011

A Startling Revelation for Silvan Family History

Every time I find a new piece of evidence to add a piece to our family history, I get excited. Today, I spent quite some time putting family information into the SILVAN site of www.ancestry.com and found a 1930 Census in Silveyville, California for Cristencia and "ALFRED" Gonzales. Why oh why did our ancestor's replace those lovely old Spanish names with Americanized versions? This man was Eusebio Feliz Gonzales Hidalgo and he's called Alfred? Well, back to the good stuff. (And I am embarrassed to say I'd received this same census from a distant cousin nearly two months ago and hadn't realized it!). It listed every sibling's age in 1930 so I went backwards and stopped in my tracks! Cristencia MAY HAVE BEEN PREGNANT on the ORTERIC while she traveled from the Rock of Gibralter and Spain to Honolulu, Hawaii in 1911. If Maria Gloria was born in June 1911 as I surmise, this is the case. And if so, it will add such a different dimension to my manuscript as she left her mother and everything she knew behind in Fuentesauco, Spain --- Pregnant! The stubborn and wonderful guts this woman had! Sigh. My story continues to evolve and hope to connect with Maria's daughter, Theresa, to clarify the dates very soon!

No comments: