Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

I met a new cousin today, CHRISTINA

I have my answer about my great Aunt Christina (Cristencia) and whether she was pregnant on the ship from Spain on her way to Hawaii. No. I was referred to her daughter today and she was named Christina after her grandmother. Cristencia had her first child on Hawaiian soil one year after arriving in Hawaii. Her first girl, named Maria Gloria Gonzales, born April 11, 1912. It was delightful meeting a new cousin and she wants to help me gain further information about her mother and will be in touch. Yay! Another relative. When I visualize our ancestor's exhaustive trip on foot for twelve long days, it was with a frantic heart that I thought Aunt Cristencia may have been pregnant; I am relieved that her main concerns were her two boys, Alejandro and Juanitco, food, rest, and athe overwhelming sadness at leaving her mother and two brothers behind.....not fighting the physical constraints and/or morning sickness from pregnancy thrown in also. I learned from my cousin, Christina, that her mother, Maria Gloria, died in Citrus Heights, California.... so more research is just waiting for me around the corner. AND another Americanized name..... changing the beautiful Maria Gloria to MARIE. I shake my head about that but remember that was a time when foreigners wanted to blend in and be like everyone else. They didn't want to stand out with Spanish names....but some of them were so beautiful. The name Christina is very special to me as it was the name of my first-born daughter....but if I had known it could have been CRISTENCIA..... I may have juggled the letters...

No comments: