Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Genealogical Web IMAGES


As the end of the week approaches, I scan the last few days in my memory and list all the research web sites I have fallen across and shake my head. With many family blood lines cruising around in files on my desk, my main focus is still on the Spanish lineage as I check any site that sounds plausible. How many times have I seen the Google words tacked across the left part of the brower home page? Web - Images - Videos - Maps - Shopping - GMail - And more....



On a long shot, I clicked on Images, a site I'd been told about but never used in my genealogy research. I typed in S.S. ORTERIC, the name of the steam ship that brought my Spanish ancestors from northern Spain to Hawaii in 48 days. When the images popped up, I stared at them....not just a little stupified. I'd looked for a picture of the ship for a couple of years and found a very fuzzy one on the Hawaiian newspaper's historical paper site. Never such a one that stared at me today. I saw S. S. Orteric printed across the bottom as though its name was swimming in the water beneath its length. What an incredible machine this computer is! The site also included the Weir Shipping Company's Flag (see above). But the ship's photo has been ordered and it will be added to the pages of my book. It is progressing nicely and within a month, I will know WHEN my airline ticket to Spain will be dated!

1 comment:

Franco Perez said...

My father's mother and her three children sailed from Spain on that ship and arrived in Hawaii on April 13, 1911. Her name was Joaquina PĂ©rez Franco. They were in Maui, then relocated to the San Francisco Bay Area settling in Alvarado (Union City).