Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Washington DC ~ Here I come.

The bad news is my beloved oak is history. My mother even sent me a sympathy card... :) The good news is I have an Amtrak ticket to Washington DC and a hotel reservation made to share with my childhood friend, Sophia. After studying every aspect of the Library of Congress web site, I believe I am ready to climb those marble steps and walk into history. And of course, I am happy. I will only have time to scope out the place and see what is available.... I found out there is a 90 minute orientation to use the repository and stacked shelves of information and it is a week after my visit but next time.......

With my cousin's (April) help and her involvement in the DAR, I have slipped into a web site that showed me photographs of relative's gravestones in Wisconsin. I am amazed at the opportunities just waiting on the internet and constantly surprised and excited. It is like being high on caffeine all the time! And of course, it opened up another question as I see happen time and again when I find answers, they generate more questions.

My great grandfather Amenzo Jabez Hubbard died in Boise, Idaho as far as our family records have shown. However, today, I found him listed in a cemetery in Wisconsin beside his wife, Delinda O Greene Hubbard. Then, when I found the photograph of the gravestone, I saw they shared the gravestone but his etching was name and date of birth - no date of death. So the questions are "Is he buried in Boise after all?" "Did he order the stone when his wife died and prepare its future etching for his own demise and then died in Boise, so he was buried there?" I have asked my cousin (Tess) about this as she is the Hubbard family historian and hopefully, we can find the answers... Until then, we are happily moving along and I have ordered pages from a history book of Ashippun, Dodge County, WI and found a picture of the town as it was then....

No comments: