Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Monday, July 26, 2010

The HUNT continues with results!

I am elated as only another genealogist can begin to understand. Not only has Victorino Silvan's gravesite been found in Hayward, CA -- right next to his wife, Ramona Martinez Silvan and his son, Celestino Martin Silvan --- but with the help of my distant cousins I have also found the long-lost daughter, Feliza. Who could have possibly guessed her Americanized name would be ALICE?? So, now I can take a big sigh in the knowledge that we have found my grandmother's uncles, aunts and the cousins she traveled from Spain to Hawaii with on the S.S. Orteric in 1911.

It was such a pleasure to print and give copies of the Hawaiian Gazette historical newspaper article from April 1911 to my Aunts in California and also tell them about their great uncle they did not know existed! While in California, I was able to take pictures of the grave sites in Winters, CA and with our couisin's, Vicki, help in Hayward, as she took pictures of her great grandparents and grandparent's graves on the Victorino Silvan side of the family. The quest continues for the Souza Bento line and to add a bit more mystery, there was a Souza and Castro in a grave together... Why? We have no idea but will continue the quest...

Another new cousin (Linda) surfaced to join the collaboration efforts! She and her husband were stationed in Spain in the military in the 1970s and told me grandmother's ship probably did not port in Seville, but in Cadiz. So, that research is on my agenda. I am also trying very hard to find a book titled, MEMORIES OF SPAIN by Anne Aguilar Santucci and hoping to learn about the interstate library loaning program to get it. A complete stranger-genealogist offered the information on the internet. The internet is an awesome venue!

No comments: