Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Friday, December 21, 2012

VENTA PEPE GLORIA - Spanish Cousins ~

THE RUIZ FAMILY IN FRESNEDA, SPAIN
Imagine my delight when Steven drove us to Venta Pepe Gloria Restaurant, a place I had heard of through stories of my brother and father.  This was a place where (mostly men) people congregated to gossip, eat, laugh, watch television and principally connect with other Spanish family and a multitude of friends.  The restaurant's parking lot was large and beautiful gates led beside and behind to what I later learned was the special area where baptismal and wedding parties took place.  The land was owned by Ruiz people as far as the eye could see.  Each family had a little portion of soil to create their homes and businesses.  This particular restaurant sat smack next door to another family restaurant named Alla en Fuente -- to our dismay, it closed a couple of months earlier. (More about that family in day 3 of posting.)

Walking up the stone steps to the large veranda framed by a beautiful railing, we walked inside the double doors and Steven was instantly recognized as a long-missed cousin from America.  Steven's face lit up when he saw Paco Fernandez Carnero (also a cousin) at the bar...and watching Paco rush around the end of the bar to greet him with a big Spanish hug and kisses on each cheek, he turned to me and I was embraced, cheeks kissed, and pulled into the warm atmosphere.  (Of course, everyone assumed I was Steven's novio (girlfriend) instead of his sister).  When I was introduced as the daughter of Miguel Ruiz Silvan, Steven's sister...the sounds of welcome were clamorous.  There is a photo above the bar showing Steven with our father during one of their trips several years ago and Paco grabbed it to show us...  This is Paco with his wife, Joaquin.

We were led to a table, bread and a plate oil were delivered with glasses of wine and I felt like I'd come home.  Within minutes, the owner arrived --- Pedro Ruiz Gomez --- more hugs, more cheek kisses and Spanish words flew between him and my brother, more hugs, more wine.

Pedro's sister is named Joaquina, married to Paco Fernandez (the bartender).  Joaquina is the cook in her brother's restaurant, her husband is the bartender and their nephew is a waiter -- Andres!

Pedro's wife is named Maria Laura Fernandez.  They have two daughters; 16 year old Elise and 13 year old Laura.  Elisa speaks English very well and her delight in understanding and conversing with us was a sight to behold.  I can still see her smiling.  Laura speaks no English --- but offered to give us a special treat!  Her specialty is the Rumba.  So, we made a date for the next day after visiting Alora (looking for information on Rosa Romero Fernandez, our great grandmother) and Laura would dance for us!  (And she gave me a lesson too...All I need now are my abuelita's castanets that my Aunt Millie promised to me yesterday!)

You will notice the name of the restaurant is Pepe Gloria.  This is the name of Pedro's father.  He is one of the older generation and knew our grandfather Bernardo (Ben) Ruiz Romero.  The family connections made words swim through my head.  I took detailed notes and the photographs are thick in my file.  Despite my lack of Spanish, I managed to converse with smiles, my eyes, hand motions and toasting wine to them... They nodded, hugged, kissed both of my cheeks in return and took me into their family as their own.

No comments: