Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Ruiz cousins across the ocean

During this Christmas season, I have been overwhelmed with new cousins who have treated me as a special long-lost relative.  And I, in turn, have embraced these wonderful people with a smile that will not quit...and a longing to get to know them better.

There are five days until Christmas and the countdown I envision is to honor them with their story.
My first story is about Angela Ruiz Fernandez, who was named after her paternal grandmother, Angela Ruiz Roman, the mother of Juani Ruiz Ruiz --- Young Angela's father.  Juani Ruiz Ruiz is married to Maria Delores Fernandez --- Angela's parents.  Angela has a sister named Margarita (who recently had her first child, a son) and a brother named Juan Jose, who has a daughter named Maria.  Juani and Maria Delores were amazing and eagerly shared any information I needed, including a photograph of their family (our family).  I was sorry I did not meet their other children but enjoyed photographs in their lovely, Spanish-tiled home above the town of Los Nunez, across the small valley from my father's house called la casa ronda.
 This photo is Angela Ruiz Roman on the left -- Juani as a young man/father next to his wife, a younger Maria Delores Fernandez....and their two oldest children.

ANGELA --- My first memory of Angela (pronounced AN'-hell-ah) was her huge smile, large brown eyes and the perplexing look on her face as she realized I did not understand Spanish well enough to converse with her.  As in many situations such as this, the smile on the face, through the eyes and the constant nodding in place of words seemed to be our way of connecting.  Luckily, she has some English and shared them with me --- which definitely put a smile on MY face also.

The second memory was the delightful enjoyment in motherhood she displayed and pride in her boys.  Little Ivan is ten months old and absolutely adorable with huge blue eyes and a smile that crinkled up his little face. By the time school was out, she introduced us to her older son, Ruben, who is six --- He was as dark eyed as Ivan was blue eyed and extremely shy where Ivan was overly exuberant.  My family across the ocean!

Angela and I share an across-the-miles relationship via email and Facebook that I never expected and this connection has added a new dimension to the familial and genealogical research I so enjoy;  she and her father drove into the country to snap a photo of my grandfather's house where he was born (Bernardo Ruiz Romero) and perseveres with her help trying to send me the birth certificate of her paternal grandfather, Jose Ruiz Nunez.  I hope to receive it soon, especially because it will solve a piece of the Ruiz family puzzle.... More on that issue another time.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Patricia,
Do you have email addresses or names for Facebook? :)
Gracias,
Ramona