Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Friday, September 21, 2012

An emotional tug in Fuentesauco and the allure of Toro




Just knowing our ancestral town was over the next hill increased my heart rate, tightened my chest and made my eyes misty.  Seeing the sign welcoming us to Fuentesauco generated a rush of emotion that is difficult to put into words... The first view of the village opened my heart and it flew.

The Iglesia of Santa Maria made me quiver as I walked up her stone steps, knowing this was the place where my great grandparents and great uncles and Aunt Cristencia all married, baptized the children and sat in the pews for mass.  Sadly, those steps and courtyard now lie beneath a mired mass of bird poop.  The stoops and ridges of the ancient holy building is now the home for hundreds of doves.  Every available perch was filled with their grey and white feathered bodies, the old wooden doors locked tight and in deep disrepair.  Now I know why I had no response from the priest when I sent my letter months ago with the international postage inside, hoping for some Silvan information...Nobody was there!!  These first two photos show this wonderful ancient church.

At Los Parros, a small restaurant in Fuentesauco,m we enjoyed Tortilla Espanol, limon juice, fried scampi and potato salad made with what I've learned is leche  ...The milk and garlic makes the potatoes taste very different than in America.  The Tortilla Espanol was soft and tasty.  I must make it when I return home!

We chose Fuentesauco as our base instead of Salamanca as Madrid's big city ways made us dream of the allure of smaller towns.  So we will remain a few days; my family tree and questions are prepared...  We hope to find gravestones in the cemetery, visit the ayuntamiento and walk the streets of Fuentesauco.. If there are any Silvan descendants, can we find them??

We saw signs to Villamoor and Villaescusa as well as Toro as we drove into the village...for another day.  First, we needed to find our hotel.  But --- none looked charming or inviting....

So we drove 40 miles farther to Toro, the heart of wine country!  It sits high above the valley and is quite beautiful sitting on the ocher cliff.  The view from the wall above the valley is breathtaking --- beside the huge cathedral Toro is known for... the Collegiate Iglesia of Santa Maria, one block from the plaza mayor. After weaving through very narrow streets, we parked near the huge church as it dominated the skyline near the plaza mayor, the town's central courtyard where restaurants, hotels and the government offices sit.

We found our hotel, the Zafarino --again no Wi-Fi  but they do have cable internet.... however, I can't use my iPad without Wi-Fi.  so thank goodness I brought a little laptop. BUT, I haven't been able to recharge it because the converter plugs I bought in America didn't include a 3-prong outlet.  Today we found one and here I am ~


Today, the first stop after our 'first breakfast' of toast, orange juice and cafe con leche was the Tourist Office whose friendly attendant pointed us to the Ayuntamiento (and gave me a beautiful poster) where we were guided to the "juzgado" (court house) and a very nice man looked for great grandma's (Eustoquia Rita Trascasas Silvan) birth certificate.  (see photo)Since my information shows her birth was 1875-1880, he wanted time to research for us and promised to look harder without us standing over him and if he finds it or any of her siblings, she will send to me at home at no charge!!  It was amazing to see the very old books with the original birth certificates written in cursive on each page --- now I can visualize where the documents come come from.  My stomach was fluttering....


We will go to the cemetery tomorrow afternoon when we leave town as I know the Trascasas and Marzo ancestors are buried there...

We walked miles already today, found a lavanderia to leave our dirty clothes (no laundromats here with washers and dryers anywhere.... What was I thinking???) We will get our clothing tomorrow...I found a new use for the bidets; washing clothes .... but they don't dry fast enough... so we knew we had to find a laundry.

 After eating a wonderful fish soup and salad with tuna about 2:30 near the plaza mayor (the tall clock tower and street surrounded us (see photo), we returned to our hotel and I 'crashed' for 2 hours.  Steven is still asleep as I write this.

I have taken nearly 400 photos since I arrived in Spain and am only half way through our trip!
Tomorrow, Villaescusa and Villamoor --- the 2 other villages of the Silvan ancestors.  It is impossible that I will find any documents but will visit the cemetery to say hello...Then our drive south following their footsteps begins.




1 comment:

felix said...

I'm enjoying your posts of this trip !! I can feel my mom beside me as I read about your visit to the Spanish church, her mother and father were married in. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing this with all of us.