Back in the dark misty times...

Back in the dark misty times...
Genealogy, joyfully discovered ~

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A Tribute to Mom and Dad in 2011 for 1955

MY LETTER FOR MOM AND DAD'S 56th WEDDING ANNIVERSARY.  MY BROTHER, STEVEN, READ IT ALOUD DURING THEIR PARTY
 (photo: Dad, Rick, me and my Mom, the bride)

MY WEDDING DAY ~ June 24, 1955
I see the picture in black and white but my memories are in vivid Technicolor.  The day was bright, hot and happy.  Mama bought me my own wedding dress, the same color as hers, yellow.  Yellow is her favorite color and even though mine is pink, she suggested both of our wedding dresses be the same color and who was I to argue?  A beautiful wedding dress of my own?   She said my new father was marrying all of us.  Me, my two brothers and Mama.

As I think back to that day, a mere fifty-six years ago when I was eight years old, I can feel the yellow dotted Swiss gathered skirt under my fingers.  Bumpy and beautiful.  And the slip was white organdy, falling in several ruffles down the front where the yellow skirt parted and opened to allow the slip to show in all its glory.  It made a crinkle sound when I walked and I closed my eyes and listened and smiled.  New panties, new socks and new shoes too.

And I wore my Easter hat.  It fit over the top of my head like it was made just for me.  Little yellow flowers adorned it and Mama plopped it over my very curly hair.  She was quite the wild woman in those days trying to keep my hair tightly curled to match hers.  It never did hold and still doesn’t follow in her naturally-curly gene pool as so many other attributes I received from her bloodline.

In this picture, I look very sober but I was gurgling with happiness inside because Mama smiled so much and my new father made her laugh too.  Instead, the photographer probably caught me in between a smile as is the case to this day.  I guess I should be happy I didn’t have my eyes closed or my mouth open?  Ricky, as he was called in those days, smiled and laughed.  He got new clothes too but not nearly as beautiful as my glorious yellow wedding dress.

The day was wonderful and the wooden pews were hard.  The church was filled with smiling family and friends to watch and listen. 

Seeing Mama and my new father standing in the front of all the wooden benches with my cousin, Lynette and her husband, Del, beside them seemed far away from where I sat with Ricky and my Auntie Dorothy.  I could see the strange man’s face, Reverend Hudson, but only the backs of the four others as they listened to his words.  I heard Mama say, “I do,” and I grinned back at Auntie Dorothy as she watched me steadily through the ceremony and smiled at me every five minutes.

Then it was over and we followed everyone out of the Christian Church and I could hardly wait to be part of the rest of the day.  I’d been careful with my new wedding dress.  Not a crease or smudge of dirt was allowed near any of it!  So, imagine my dismay when the party went on without us!  What?  It was no place for children?  I thought it was our party too.  Nevertheless, I do not have any memories of the reception and neither do my brothers, Ricky and Stevie. 

Now, we are Rick, Steven and Patricia.  Now, they are Mom and Dad.  The memories remain vivid and Auntie Dorothy is no longer alive, but that special day fifty six years ago will always touch my heart and remind my soul about love, commitment and honor by these two wonderful people who have made such a difference in our lives.

Lovingly from across the miles on this special occasion, I remain an appreciative daughter,
Patricia
   


No comments: